Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Burro Creek


I told myself I'd go to the gym this morning, but who wants to go through that torture after being lazy for 6 weeks? Alas, here I sit...blogging.

This past weekend we went with Jared's den on a weekend campout to Burro Creek. It was actually quite a beautiful drive out there. And, oh how wonderful it was to be able to fit EVERYTHING in one vehicle! We did all the regular camp stuff, roasting hot dogs, s'mores, foil dinners, campfire songs. Everyone had a great time. Saturday we woke up, and Marcus, the den leader, decided we needed to go on a hike. So we literally hiked 2 miles on a dry creek bed FULL of river rocks. Jared collected quartz after quartz (which I ended up carrying back of course). Doug found a really cool HUGE Apache tear, otherwise known as obsidian. After the hike, Marcus decided it was time to swim, or rather, wade - in a very questionable pool of water. It was large enough, but it was pretty algae-ridden, and it was sort of stagnant. Against my better judgement and caving under pressure, I let them play in the filth. Hey, I wasn't the only parent! I was a little worried last night when Jade had some pretty intense stomach cramps. I found myself Googling Giardia and other parasitic lifeforms found in standing water, and of course all that reading scared the crud out of me. But this morning, all seems to be well. She bounced out of bed, happy as ever. So, hopefully the crisis is averted.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend. I was worried when you said Jade wasn't feeling well, but glad to hear she is back to her old self! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do men let their kids do gross and questionable things? I am glad that Jade is feeling better. As far as going to the gym goes, you just went on a 2 mile hike! Thats good exercise!

    ReplyDelete